Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Love For Beautiful Home


I love beautiful house since i was small,we grew up in a kampung but that didn't stop my mother from creating such a beautiful and cosy rooms for us in the kampung house.I learned from my mother a lot, I can still remember when i was small our house is always neat and tidy not a single rubbish on the floor, my mother kept the wooden flooring of house yellow in gold and smooth.I never remember seeing dirty laundry on the floor or chair as my mother will immediately fold all laundry into neat pieces on the day bed my late father built under the rambutan tree in front of our house. Come to think about it, iam very proud that both my mother and father had managed to build a cosy living with country style theme at that time, we had deck,outdoor dining,outdoor oven and arch in the garden. My mother once told me when i was small that it is ok to run out of sugar or coffee at home because if people come you can always run to the shop but if you have dirty and messy house what excuse can you give,it just shows that you are an untidy person:) I remember my late father had built wooden Arch/Arbor for our gate near the kitchen and my mother planted beautiful pale pink country roses on each side or the Arch and after sometimes we had the most beautiful rose bushes surrounding the Arch that everbody admire it as it gives sweet and wonderful smell all year round.( I long for that kind of roses now, I ve been looking along sungai buluh nursery, i want to bring that sweet memory to my own house)My mother had also planted "delima" next to the kitchen and we had big red delimas hanging from the branches,the feel was so country and cosy.We had orchid house built by my father and my mother used "kulit kelapa" as pot and we have all kind of orchids like tiger orchid, wild orchid etc.Around the halaman we had all kind of blooms like "bunga ekor kucing" bunga raya" "bunga janda kaya" "bunga lilly" bunga bedak" bunga jarum" etc.My mother was also good at craft and sewing works, she cut flower's pattern from old fabric and sewed it to plain cloth and we had beautiful embroidery table cloth, she made her own beads from old calender paper and we had beautiful beads curtain to separate our dining and kitchen. We do not buy bouquet from the shop at that time to decorate our table but my mother made sure we have beautiful setting by putting fresh flowers or greeneries from the garden in an old unused jar,jug or bottle with water in it,this decoration can last for weeks.I still practise this tips whenever we go back for raya at our kampung, when my nieces see me with knife going around the halaman they will see " hah maksu dah start lah nak buat Eric punya decoration tu..hmm come to think about it Eric is the want who tiru me..haa..haaa.There was another flower that mother had planted near our bed room which i think is no longer available now they were called "bunga cina",they are like magnolias,the flower is a bit smaller than your palm,the petal is thick and its really wangi, I usually used this flower to make my own version of "minyak wangi", i will put in a glass of water than sprinkle over my body and bed. Towards the end when my late father had less responsibility he loved to buy things for the house,everytime he comes back from town we will see boxes for tea set, few new dinner plates a carpet or a painting, sometimes he will do this like 3 times a week and my mother always complaint that my father bought things without consulting him..and she went merajuk:)I still remember that my late father really loves the brown arcoroc set, not the green or the pink but always the brown coloured one and he refused to eat in the "ceramic plate":)My late father despite his strict imam character he likes to decorate the house, he will clean the plate collections, sweeps the garden clean, we once rear 20 goats but my father kept their place clean and cosy with bornfire, hanging greeneries etc that i ended up spending my time hours in the evening there.Despite living in the kampung we do have small section for reading,i remember the " almari hitam with open shelves" that house our story books and my father's kitabs".Due to the habit introduced by my mother and father i used to refuse using other people's toilet, i rather keep my urge for hours. My mother loves to cook too, her "ayam kampung masak lemak cilipadi or daging salai belimbing buluh" is nothing to compare with, everything is just right about it,the colour,the smoothness of the santan,the smell, as a result i got infatuated with it also, my lemak cili padi must use the right amount of tumeric as i don't like it to be too yellow like in the shop,the santan must also smooth i don't want it to be curdle.My mother baked delicious plain butter cake using only butter (at that time shop sold buttercup in a can), everytime she bakes the smell will linger like 2,3 houses along the row. Too many sweet memories and I thank both my mother and father for instilling all the good things in me,no pressure or force from them just "they lead by example". My mother is old now but she can still appreciate beautiful house and can still give me few tips in cooking.I have my own family now, I want to create the same surrounding which i have enjoyed when i was small for my children, I want they to come back to a home sweet home and smell the delicious and sweet fragrance from my kitchen.I ve lost my father when i was 17, i didn't have the opportunity to give him back anything except my love but i am very syukur that my mother is still around living with me to see the dream house that we are building and to eat the dishes that I am cooking. For that I syukur so much to Allah sbt, may i not forget the bless that is given to me, may i must always remember to show the syukur by remembering Allah always.

2 comments:

nerry nerry strawbery said...

ohh sungguh the terharu la... yes still remember bunga cina,ekor kucing,janda kaya and paling ingat is bunga jambang, usually during raya , bunga dicucuk kat plate tajam cam paku tu...and paling best is the smell of our kg where where we spend our childhood....

Drama Mama said...

salam perkenalan...first time here. what a good childhood memory. so happy and serene reding this entry. nice blog.